Serves 4. Vegetarian
Children and adults alike love cheese fondue because it’s a bit of a novelty. Definitely something to enjoy as a family – especially when a piece of bread disappears into the cheese sauce and everyone hunts around for it with their skewer!
- 75ml (3fl oz) dry white wine
- 2 large cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley (optional)
- 300g (11oz) Gruyre cheese, grated
- 400g (14oz) Emmental cheese, grated
- 200g (7oz) crusty white bread, cut into 2cm (1in) chunks
- Place the wine, garlic and parsley (if using) in a fondue pot or small saucepan, stir together and then add the grated cheeses. The fondue can be prepared ahead up to this point.
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F), Gas mark 6.
- Tip the chunks of bread onto a non-stick baking tray and bake in the oven for 8–10 minutes, tossing halfway through, until they are crisp and golden.
- Place the fondue pot or saucepan on the hob at a low heat and cook until the cheese melts and begins to bubble, stirring occasionally. Serve the fondue immediately with the toasted bread. To eat, place a piece of bread on a fork or fondue skewer, dip in the fondue and enjoy!