s e r v e s 4 – 6 . v e g e t a r i a n
These are a real favourite of mine with a roast leg of lamb. The natural sugars in the vegetables work beautifully with the apricot jam to give it the perfect sticky and flavourful finish.
- 500g (1lb 2oz) small carrots, peeled and tops trimmed
- 500g (1lb 2oz) small parsnips, peeled and halved (if larger than the carrots)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp apricot jam
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F), Gas mark 6.
- Place the carrots and parsnips in a large roasting tin and drizzle with the olive oil. Scatter over the cumin seeds, season with salt and pepper and toss everything together to coat evenly. Roast in the oven for 40–45 minutes, tossing occasionally in the oil during cooking, until tender and golden.
- In the meantime, heat the apricot jam and lemon juice for a few minutes in a small saucepan, stirring until you have a smooth, runny sauce. Pour this over the carrots and parsnips for the last 10 minutes of cooking, tossing the vegetables in the sauce to coat evenly. Scatter with the coriander just before serving.